Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Great Tool for Web Page Tracing

Have you ever wanted to search back over pages that you know you visited a month or more back, but just can't find them? You may have bookmarked them, but you can't remember the title or URL. It's not worth spending weeks tracing thru the history logs.

I found the tool I want. I use Firefox as my WebBrowser of choice, and have discovered a great little plug-in called "Slogger". It allows you to either save an HTML image of ever page you visit, or of every page you select by a click of a single tool-bar button. 

Put this together with Google Desktop Search, or, as I do, with X1, and you can search all the text in all the saved pages very, very easily. Much easier and quicker than the work-arounds I've been using like "Save Page as" etc.

Each page is saved in a file that is date and time stamped in the file name - I prefix this with the domain name: so the file name looks like C://..../domain.name.com-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSSSSS (to the hundreth of a second - no way you'll get duplicate file names.

You can store the files in daily, monthly or annual folders depending on your preference.

 

Thoroughly recommended.

1 Comments:

At 10:29 am, November 08, 2006, Blogger Jonathan said...

I tried X1 with slogger but the slogger html pages show up as "Page could not be loaded" in the preview pane. Have you encountered this?

jonathan.aquino@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home