Friday, February 04, 2005

Responding to Kyle

Thanks for your comment, Kyle

While I agree that un-mediated interactions enable better 'community' than mediated ones, I suppose what I was trying to counter is a perspective that community can *only* be done in face-to-face and person-to-person contact. And some conservative christians go as far as to say mediated community is contrary to scripture. As I said in an earlier post, I believe our society (at least in Oz) is focussing less on geographical neighbourhood than on network neighbourhood and we have to take that on board seriously.

I have come across few 'churches' who are. In my last job I spent 50% of my time away from home travelling the world. For those 6 years I only recall extremely rare occassions that anyone from our 'church' contacted me just to ask how I was doing, and to 'fellowship' with me. I would suggest that, for instance, for any church active within a community that involves middle to senior executives this kind of interaction is a must.

Of course it also means we should be utilizing the technology more effectively for community interaction. I see a real potential here for blogs, but for SMS, for better websites, etc.

1 Comments:

At 4:00 pm, February 05, 2005, Blogger Kyle said...

I think you're certainly on to something. And this week (at the EC in San Diego) I've been reminded of the closeness I've come to feel with folks I've only previously met on blogs and in email. Keep thinking!

for the record, I usually spell my name without the 'i' - but that's cool. New names and naming are part of the biblical pattern, right? ;~)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home